Locations (2008.8) Questions.

robin paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 00:05:37 CEST 2008

Feydreva wrote:
> Or i can create a map package like :
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2008.8_Locations#Create_Offline_Maps
> and save them my_map1.eek
> but  if I download news tiles, I have to think about creating a
> my_maps2.eek, before I reboot the FR again...

the instructions on the wiki look like the best way of doing it -
doesn't sound too much hassle if you want to update it later

personally, i think tangogps is a lot better, and it handles offline
maps in a far simpler way

> I wish there was a way to have all the map saved in a permanent locations...
>

>    - Also, If I want to use/Download  some Google_maps (for personal usage)
>    and use them with Location , how do I do that ?
>
> I am going to vacation in a location there is no OSM map, and I would like
> to have the gmap instead...

that would be strictly against the terms and conditions of using google
maps....which is one the reasons osm was created

i don't want to get anyone in trouble showing you here how to do it, but
i think there's some hints on the maemo forum of the url format google
uses, which should help with mass-downloading the area you want