Todays rant: opkg - not giving me the right choices

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:03:51 CEST 2008

Hello again,

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
<mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:
> You could inspect /etc/ipkg.conf and browse with a HTTP browser to get
> absolute URIs.

Are you referring to /etc/opkg.conf? Ther is no /etc/ipkg.conf on my
system, and /etc/opkg.conf contains:

root at om-gta02:~# more /etc/opkg.conf
# Must have one or more source entries of the form:
#
#   src <src-name> <source-url>
#
# and one or more destination entries of the form:
#
#   dest <dest-name> <target-path>
#
# where <src-name> and <dest-names> are identifiers that
# should match [a-zA-Z0-9._-]+, <source-url> should be a
# URL that points to a directory containing a Familiar
# Packages file, and <target-path> should be a directory
# that exists on the target system.

# Proxy Support
#option http_proxy http://proxy.tld:3128
#option ftp_proxy http://proxy.tld:3128
#option proxy_username <username>
#option proxy_password <password>

# Offline mode (for use in constructing flash images offline)
#option offline_root target

dest root /
lists_dir ext /var/lib/opkg

which doesn't seem all that useful to me.
Are you suggesting that I should manually check all feeds in the files
in /etc/opkg ?
Well, I would like the tools I use (opkg or others) to help me avoid
such manual work as much as possible.

Obviously, opkg knows where to download a package from, why can't it
tell me the URI?

Anyway, I had a look at http://people.openmoko.org/~zecke/om2008.8-testing/
but it seems there are only 1973 kernels there.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen