maps for others country?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 22:48:27 CEST 2008

2008/8/18 Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to preload map packages from openstreemaps based on coordinates?
>> So that we can create city or country maps, without actually being there ? :)
>
> Yes, that would be great.
> I would really like to be able do something like:
>
> osm-get-maps Norway
> osm-get-maps Oslo
>
> to download maps for a country and a city, respectively.
> I had a look at the OSM[1] site, but couldn't find any such tools
> there at least.

there is something already on osm to do this:

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/downloading/tiles_by_bbox/get.pl

which gets tiles by a bounding box

it should be pretty easy to extend by producing a table with a list of
names (e.g. oslo, noway) that feeds a set of lat/lon to the script
when called

something like:

lookup_coords
place          llon          rlon          tlat          blat
norway       2.5           3.2           62.2        58.4
oslo           2.75          2.82        59.91        59.75

then call
# perl get.pl oslo

and it parses the place, sends the coords to get.pl and downloads what you need

of course, the script could be easily modfied to use other map
services that serve tiles with a similar name format