GPS logger / field data collection

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:08:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Neil Brown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> On Monday August 18, ml at e4net.com wrote:
>>
>> I was kind of surprised that gpsd didn't give me a simple way to just get the current location, I
>> had to capture 5 sentences to do that simple thing, but what I really wanted was to simply get the
>> last known lat and long I was at. With the data logger I can presumably do that by getting the last
>> entry of the log.
>
>  from the man page for gpsd

>           Returns the current position in the form "P=%f %f"; numbers are in
>           degrees, latitude first.
>

> $ telnet tangogps.org gpsd
> Trying 82.240.156.91...
> Connected to tangogps.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GPSD,P=43.739028 7.364333
> ^]
> telnet> q
> Connection closed.
>
> 43 degrees north, 7 east.
>

> NeilBrown

Isn't gypsy [1] used on some builds?
Perhaps build a logger to use either gpsd or gypsy.
Gypsy, Python examples are available [2].

Regarding the resulting logs :
Would be nice for choose what format; text, xml, yaml, sqlite
Start with plain text, with the expectation that someone will want
another format.

What columns for store, time,long,lat.  timezone, time format.

~ Matt

[1] http://folks.o-hand.com/iain/gypsy/
[2] http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/gypsy/trunk/gypsy/examples/