SIP on Debian

Peter Schwenke peter at bluetoad.com.au
Tue Aug 19 11:53:05 CEST 2008

SIP is looking very promising on Debian.  I installed ekiga and linphone
and have had some success with both.  Nothing fancy - just apt-get install.

Calls can be successfully initiated and received on linphone.  Ekiga
does work as well and I have received video but it didn't cope too well.

The problem is with the audio.  I can hear the ring for an incoming call
using stereoout.state.  Once the call is picked up I can hear the other end.

Fiddling with alsa mixer I was able to get the other end to hear me from
the phone speaker.

So some work with the alsa setting and we should have VOIP and maybe
even some video conferencing.

                                                          Regards
                                                          ...Peter