Phone that works on all networks? Not necessarily symotaniously.

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 20:21:26 CEST 2008

I understand the openmoko phone works on GSM networks? I think I read
somewhere that Verizon uses CDMA and not GSM. Are there plans to have
a phone that will connect to a CDMA network? Is there a way to
incorporate say like a module to add/remove to use any cellular
network you want? Not that I want to use verizon or at&t or any
network in particular but I would like a choice. At this point in time
I hate cell phones and cell phone networks; I have high hopes for this
project to maybe standardize the industry. One OS to rule them all. As
is now the same cell phone for different companies works way different
example: a razor for verizon is way different then a razor for AT&T. I
was looking at the menus and options and they are so different I
wouldn't even consider it the same phone. I'd like to see the same
options across the board from at&t to verizon to tmoble ... The one
thing I couldn't find on the AT&T interface for the razor was the
Airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off the radio so that if you are in
a place with no reception you don't waist your batteries and can still
use your phone for the other tasks like snapping a quick picture when
you don't have your real camera next to you. Or an alarm clock or
calculator or ...
I live in Albuquerque NM I'm wondering if I even have a choice of any
networks that I could use the openmoko project with. I would like to
get started with it. It interests me.