Raster's Image and chatting on the moko!

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 20 02:21:12 CEST 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:42:58 +0200 David Samblas
<dsamblasomcommunity at gmail.com> babbled:

i will say- i didn't touch qtopia. so any gsm registering or not.. is not my
doing :)

but... that keyboard is the one i have cunningly worked on. it should
address most things people have bitched about and want. it is NOT perfect. i
don't claim that. but it is "usable" and where it falls short - extensible
EASILY by users (well you techy nerdy linux users - just write some .kbd
files, OR... generate some text-file dictionaries. the dictionary is simply:
sort -f /usr/share/dict/words from your favorite linux desktop dictionary - so
any spanish, french, german, whatever dictionary "should work" just by stealing
it from a desktop and throwing it in with the existing dictionaries (system
dicts are in /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/illume/dicts/ and a user can
install them as themselves... if they don't have root access (moot for OM, but
for other systems.. relevant) in ~/.e/e/dicts/ - your personal dictionary that
learns what you type (and how often you type it) is
~/.e/e/dicts-dynamic/personal.dic - same format (text), and in addition it also
supports ~/.e/e/dicts-dynamic/data.dic - you won't see it, but this is a file
that is "expected" to be auto-generated from "personal data" - eg your contacts
list (all names, addresses etc.) get stolen from your contacts every now and
again and put in this file. these get mixed in with the dictionary matching
logic. the keyboard layout files work the same way. ~/.e/e/keyboards/ contains
personal .kbd layouts (that always take preference to system ones)
and /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/illume/keyboards/ contains system .kbd files
- just copy one and start editing - put in one of those dirs. they are basic
text files defining an area for the keyboard (virtual area/size), fuzz value
(how far from a press point should the key hunting go to find possible
mis-presses) as well as type of keyboard (used for auto-keyboard protocol
hinting to find which keyboard to use) and icon... and keys. just look at the 3
keyboard provided by default.

note - assumed is UTF-8 for all dictionaries and keyboard files. so make a
spanish, german, russian etc. keyboard file. add the accented characters you
want/need. *I* can't do all this for you. i can do some, but it is better that
native speakers of these languages do this and address their own language
needs. i HOPE i have covered this. if i haven't - patches accepted. i am not
sure if the dictionary matching will work as well as i hoped when it comes to
accented UTF-8 etc. characters, but i did write it to do so, so if it doesn't -
it's a bug. i am guessing it should handle greek and cyrillic scripts (and
languages) as i think these are just the same principle as latin based
languagese - just different charactersets. you will need to make your own .kbd
files with your keys on it and dictionary files.

unfortunately... this keyboard ... does not help our asian friends much. it
does not include an input method - so for chinese you will need to add an input
method handler and use pinyin. for japanese - same, and type in romanji (though
in theory kana is possible with the keyboard - it may work instead of romanji.
untested) and for our korean friends... beats me! :)

other languages are a bit of a mystery to me. i can say anything right-to-left
is not going to have any support right now. evas doesn't know anything about
right-to-left. luckily it's a small minority of languages that are
right-to-left, but as i said - i know nothing of these. mystery to me. i can't
pretend to be able to support these - sorry guys! :(