SDHC 16GB 15MB/s card

Stefan Fröbe frobiac at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:00:55 CEST 2008

> in case you loose it again, do
>
> dd if=boot.backup of=/dev/mmcblk0
>
> that's on your host! i don't know, if that works from fr, though.

I can confirm this works for the bootsector corruption, but after seriously
struggling with unreadable SDHC cards under Ubuntu _AND_ the FR I finally
figured out some other pretty reliable workarounds for problems with memory
cards:

Trying the debian install yesterday I noticed that both the original 512MB
as well as a 1GB card were no longer working on the FR ( could write to them
but then glamo-mci errors as in
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1743appeared and sometime after
about 200MB all further communication seemed
broken ) . In addition, partitioning seemed so messed up the cards were not
recognized anymore by fdisk et al, so nothing but a panasonic windows card
formatter could recover them. All of this happening without suspends on an
upgraded 2007.8...

Whilst linux 2.6.26 on the host needed a fix to get the cards to show up
again at all ( http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=121734710306509&w=2 ), on the
FR side the only thing that worked was playing with the glamo kernel
parameters - I haven't reduced it to a minimal set of changes, but passing
"glamo_mci.sd_drive=3 glamo_mci.sd_idleclk=1 sd_max_clk=5000000" on the
u-boot cmdline resolved all issues so far.

I haven't filed a bugreport as interestingly enough I wasn't having any
issues with the troublesome 4GB any more - maybe because I was using  2008.8
booted from the card itself?

I will try to reduce the parameters later, if anyone has further hints I'd
be happy to try them out. Also, would the addition of dd'ed mbrs for the
various cards in the Wiki be feasible ?

Stefan