Booting from SD-card / setting-up a second environment on FR

thewtex matthew.m.mccormick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:05:12 CEST 2008

A.dre <A.dre at ...> writes:

> Than I downloaded "Openmoko-Freerunner-20080424-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2"
> and "uImage-2.6.24+git20080424-om-gta02.bin" (exactly the same files
> installed on the phone I believe) in order to write/copy these to
> SD-card. However, I don't know how to write/copy the jffs2 file to
> SD-card. (I cannot find the same file in 'tar.gz' format.)

Have a look at here
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qtopia_on_FreeRunner#Unpacking_the_Qtopia_Root_Filesystem_Image

Alternatively, if you have an SD reader on your host box, you can do
cd /jffs/mountpoint
find ./ -xdev -print0 | cpio -pa0V /SD/mountpoint

props to Kyle Rankin from Linux Journal July 2008 for the above

> As I understand the filetype jffs2 is an image comparable with a
> iso-image of a cd [2]. I learned that it is possible to mount it as a
> 'loopback' device in order to read from the .jffs2 [3]. I also learned
> that the 'dd'-command (see[4]) can be used to create a .jffs2.
>
> ==>While learning all this, a totally different approach crossed my mind:
>
> Would it be possible to duplicate (with the use of dd) the standard
> environment (the FR ships with) to SD-card (in order to create a second
> environment)?

note that dfu-util has a download firmware option in addition to an upload
firmware option.