Substitute batteries

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Aug 21 07:58:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:49:05 -0700, Michael Shiloh <michael at openmoko.org>
wrote:

> Joel Newkirk wrote:
>> My guess is that it incorporates some constants that depend on the
> actual
>> battery pack.  Note that I don't actually KNOW that it's in the battery,
>> but previous ML posts by folks at Openmoko refer to it as 'in the
> battery',
>> and with a bl-5c installed almost all battery-related entries in sysfs
> are
>> unpopulated.
>
> This is to confirm that the coulomb counter is in the battery pack. Why?
> Because it stores the count, and if you swap batteries, you need to know
> the count for the battery in the device, not for the one you removed.

Makes perfect sense. Is it a custom IC, something off-the-shelf, or what?
Could it be cheaply retrofitted by a hobbyist into a BL-5c clone battery?
I'm quite happy to crack one open, just not my Openmoko battery... ;)

Barring the workability of that idea, I'm hoping we can adapt the battery
management/monitoring software to fallback to the 'dumb cellphone' approach
and let us safely charge, and have some idea of remaining capacity of,
non-Openmoko batteries if it detects a battery present without the coulomb
counter circuit.