ASU - out of memory?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Thu Aug 21 14:59:03 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

>> As i said, swap on flash sound crazy. But i had this experience on my
>> Nokia 770 (64Mb RAM). Even if i was not always on the memory limit, it
>> felt instantaneously better and more stable.
>
> i think its just the lazy mans way out. "there's a problem" .. "look - lets
> cover it up by swapping!". 128m ram is a huge amount. most of the time a vast
> chunk of it (at least 25%) be "cache" - i.e. memory you dont need - but it just
> kept around in case you need it again soon. the only thing we are talking here
> is using swap in favor of using that space for disk cache really.
Well disc cache makes sense in RAM. Nothing wasted here.
> given we have
> things like sd card corruption problems on suspend/resume...
Ok, that sounds more like a counter argument.
> not to mention
> performance issues,

And this maybe too.

> i'd think it would make little sense so make the system
> that fragile. fix the memory usage issue - don't just "get more slow slow slow"
> ram. :)

As i said, i had made the experience that it improved the system
greatly. Shouldn't we just test it?
Perhaps, that is what i will try to do with my Neo1973 soon...

I mean, all the linux memory overcommit behaviour more or less depends
on the fact that it can allways save it's ass by using swap. (Instead of
helplessley crashing)
Once again, virtual memory should be a relatively limitless resource on
a linux system.