ASU - out of memory?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Thu Aug 21 16:09:58 CEST 2008

Esben Stien wrote:
> Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name> writes:
>
>> all the linux memory overcommit behaviour more or less depends on
>> the fact that it can allways save it's ass by using swap. (Instead
>> of helplessley crashing)
>
> Yes, or killing the application.

That would be great. But was always a hot topic and AFAIK no solution
was found yet.
I remember there was a proposal for a more intelligent oom killer system
on lkml some time ago. No idea if this is still around.
(Was afaik some preemtive notification to userspace)

Intuitively the answer is clear. Kill the culprit and not just something
big. But what is to kill? And how to determine without allocating any
more memory...
I have never seen any craceful oom killer yet.