ASU - out of memory?

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Thu Aug 21 18:20:54 CEST 2008

> Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name> writes:
>
>> all the linux memory overcommit behaviour more or less depends on
>> the fact that it can allways save it's ass by using swap. (Instead
>> of helplessley crashing)
>
> Yes, or killing the application. Not having swap is nonsense;). If you
> are using swap something is wrong, right, but then you fix it. I find
> it strange that the debian install didn't make a little swap
> partition.

How is having 256MB RAM without swap any different from 128MB RAM with 128MB swap? It's
still 256MB (virtual) memeory in total.

In other words, even WITH swap you dont solve the problem, you only postpone any
problems until later, AND you lose some flash/sd storage room for swap permanently.

It only makes sense to allocate swap if you know beforehand you'll need more than the
available RAM.

Sander