ASU - out of memory?

Steven Kurylo sk at infinitepigeons.org
Thu Aug 21 19:33:24 CEST 2008

> And come on. Software is not perfect. Sometimes we have to live with a
> dreamteam like (old) firefox and x11. I had times when they had both
> hundreds of megs virtual mem. But everything was fine because it all was
> just harmlessly been swaped away. I restarted them every weekend to not
> let it become worse.
> Not ideal, but should the system rather be unusable in this condition?

You're assuming the system will be usable when an application
misbehaves and 50mb gets swapped out.  On a desktop, sure your points
are valid.

I'm not sure this is true on Freerunner.  None of the embedded systems
I've used have had swap.  What happens when you haven't received a
call for several hours and the application you're using forces it to
swap out?  Can you still answer a call in time?

I'd rather see a smart oom killer which will only kill non-essential
applications.  Adding 128mb of swap just pushes the problem back and
slows down the entire phone.