Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Thu Aug 21 21:50:57 CEST 2008

Fox Mulder <Quakeman1 at gmx.net> writes:
> First thing is that i can't find the setting, when the display dims the
> brightness. The default setting dims it after some minutes (~3-5 min, i
> didn't measure it) what is way to late for battery usage. Also it would

At the moment you need to edit the source:

1) apt-get source fso-frameworkd
2) edit fso-frameworkd*/framework/subsystems/odeviced/idlenotifier.py around line 58
3) fakeroot apt-get --build source fso-frameworkd
4) dpkg -i fso-frameworkd*deb

> ne nice to set the maximum brightness and not always maximum (63).

1) apt-get source zhone
2) edit zhone*/src/zhone around line 1924
3) fakeroot apt-get --build source zhone
4) dpkg -i zhone*deb

> Then i wanted to use openoffice, what would make me really happy because
> i only use OO on my desktop as well. But after i inetalled it i can't
> start it. When i try to start any OO app i got the following error message
>
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 365:  2088 Illegal instruction
>     "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
>
> where the second number increases with every try. "soffice" seems to be
> a start script, but i can't find the problem why it doesn't work. :(

You probably should try openoffice under qemu. If you can reproduce it
there you should file a bug to bugs.debian.org.

> Then i wanted to ask if there exists a recent navit version for debian.

You can create a package easily:

1) wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/navit/navit-0.0.4.tar.gz
2) tar zxf navit-0.0.4.tar.gz
3) cd navit-0.0.4
4) dh_make -s -f ../navit-0.0.4.tar.gz
5) edit debian/rules and change line that calls ./configure to read only

./configure $(CROSS) --prefix=/usr

6) dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
7) sudo dpkg -i ../navit*deb

This quick'n'dirty packaking took only a few minutes but the package seems to work:

http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/debian-navit1.png

To create armel package you probably want to

qemubuilder --build navit_0.0.4-1.dsc

since building navit on your freerunner might take a while.