Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Aug 21 22:56:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 21.08.2008, 21:06 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
> First of all i must say that i'm quite impressed with debian on the
> freerunner. It runs quite smooth most of the time and the software
> choices are realy nice. :)

Thanks.

> First thing is that i can't find the setting, when the display dims the
> brightness. The default setting dims it after some minutes (~3-5 min, i
> didn't measure it) what is way to late for battery usage. Also it would
> ne nice to set the maximum brightness and not always maximum (63).

This should probaby be configurable in frameworkd. You should search
http://trac.freesmartphone.org/ for open bugs on that. If there are
none, you can open them, and optionally add a nice patch :-)

> Then i wanted to use openoffice, what would make me really happy because
> i only use OO on my desktop as well. But after i inetalled it i can't
> start it. When i try to start any OO app i got the following error message
>
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 365:  2088 Illegal instruction
>     "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
>
> where the second number increases with every try. "soffice" seems to be
> a start script, but i can't find the problem why it doesn't work. :(

I guess not many people have tried openoffice on armel yet :-). As Timo
correctly said, it might be a bug in the Debian build and should be
reported there.

> Then i wanted to ask if there exists a recent navit version for debian.
> For 2007.2 i got one as ipkg which works really good with navigation and
> speech output, but for debian i can't find any precompiled package.
> I have the apprehension that i must compile it myself, but if this is
> going well is another story. ;)

Some people are working on it:
Maybe you can help here by finding out what’s stopping them (if it’s
still the copyright stuff) and maybe helping upstream with sorting out
their copyright information.

Greetings,
Joachim

--