Emergency call at boot time functionality (was Re: Windows CE on freerunner)

robin paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:48:38 CEST 2008

Lothar Behrens wrote:
> besides of WindowsCE and I don't like it on my phone for dayly use, I
> like to ask another question:
>
> There were some comments when booting Linux it take about 2-3 minutes.
> And the commentary was
> 'How to take an emergency call ?'
>
> Would such a specialized uImage.bin able to manage such an emergency call ?
>
> If so, why not developing such a secondary image and change the power on
> screen by adding an emergency
> button and let the user the change to do so ?
>
> I think, this is very important.

it's a nice idea, something like the splashtop[1] BIOS used in asus
motherboards?

problem is, you're relying on people thinking clearly, being able to
make good logical decisions and correctly choosing the environment to
boot into on startup. unfortunately, this is the last thing most people
can do in the sort of high-stress situation which typically demands an
emergency call.

if you study some mobiles, they are able to make emergency calls without
unlocking the screen, because manufacturers realise people can't even
manage that simple task when they panic, even something they may do 20
times a day

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop