Windows CE on freerunner

Alex Osborne ato at meshy.org
Fri Aug 22 13:07:04 CEST 2008

On 22/08/2008, at 1:19 PM, Vikas Saurabh wrote:

> I would definitely give it a try. Not intereseted in font blitting,
> so would stick to the morse code idea :).
> Would send out the details (and wiki them).

Here you go, I wrote an extremely simple example program:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bare_metal

I don't have a physical device yet, so I've only tested this in qemu,
but I can't see any obvious reason why it shouldn't work on the real
thing.  You should be able to upload it with u-boot in USB console
mode using kermit.  There should also be a way to flash it on in
place of a kernel image or put it on a SD card, but I'm not familiar
enough with u-boot to know how to do it.  Anyway, for testing it's
probably much easier just to send it via USB each time, rather than
mucking around reflashing or putting SD cards in and out.

You might need to adjust the for loop, as I set it based on the speed
of qemu on my PC, it'll probably be completely different speed
running on the device.  You might like to extend it to flash "hello
world" in morse code, or use an LED or the vibrator instead.  You
could get really fancy and have it "read" morse code from someone
tapping the AUX button and make simple morse-code shell or some
such. ;-)

If you try it on a real device, please add instructions on how you
did it to the wiki page.