Compiling single package

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 22 21:13:33 CEST 2008

Lothar Behrens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after some tries to compile the complete distribution (2007.2) on my
> openSuSE 11.0, I must say that either my notebook has a hardware problem
> or openSuSE 11.0 is not as stable as my old 9.1 installation.
>
> It freezes after long time in screen saving mode while compiling (over
> night)
> It freezes while copying much data to my USB HDD.
>
> Does someone here has successfully compiled a distribution with openSuSE
> 11.0 ?
>
> The main question: Is it possible to start with mokomakefile only
> compiling navit ipk package, for sample (from scratch) ?

Yes.  The wiki is kind of a mess at the moment, and I've been trying to
figure all this stuff out by reading code, and asking questions on the
mailing list.  :)

You need to find a directory named "packages" after mokomakefile has set
itself up (it should already be in this state if it failed after a few
hours of building...)

Under "packages" there are *.bb files.  They are like debian source
packages.  If you want to build:

foo-1.2.3.bb

run:

make build-package-foo

if you want to patch the source of foo, then look at some package that
applies patches, and follow their lead.  Editing the source of the
application directly doesn't work since bitbake will blow away your
changes before compiling.

Sometimes the .bb file is named differently than the .ipk file.  For
example, gst-plugin-ivorbis is built by running:

make build-package-gst-plugins-ugly

(or maybe "gst-plugins-bad"; I can never remember... ;)

I seem to remember mokomakefile pulling in the .bb files on demand, but
I could be crazy...  If it does pull them in on demand, you'll need to
guess the package name (probably 'navit') or do a git checkout of the
correct openmoko tree (I don't know the URL off the top of my head...).

Hope this helps!

-Rusty