[FSO] GPS-problems / tangogps in testing-feed broken

Benito Torres openmoko at mv.so36.net
Sat Aug 23 02:23:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 23:27 (+0200), Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/gpsd;
> interface=org.gpsd; member=fix

I don't see this kind of message. Maybe that's due to different
daemon-implementations on different hardware? Also all dbus-paths start
with /org/freesmartphone/ here.

Anyway I'm sure this is an application/dbus-problem as in the meantime I
ran agpsui successfully: 90 seconds for the first fix. But even after
agpsui having a fix, zhone is still clueless -- which can be explained
by agpsui parsing ttySAC1 directly.

(Interesstingly I can start and stop gpsd to my pleasure without any
changes for agpsui or zhone. What's gpsd for, anyway?)

Manually asking Gypsy via dbus reveals, that the dbus-interface is
broken as it prints the same message that tangogps reported:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freesmartphone.ogpsd /org/freedesktop/Gypsy org.freedesktop.Gypsy.Position.GetPosition
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 745, in _message_cb
    _method_reply_return(connection, message, method_name, signature, *retval)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 252, in _method_reply_return
    reply.append(signature=signature, *retval)
TypeError: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments

Other methods like GetAccuracy fail, too, while GetSatellites
successfully returns an empty array and GetConnectionStatus returns 1.

Could anybody with more insights to the frameworkd/dbus-development shed
some light on this?

Is this a known problem? Should we simply wait for the next package?

Thanks,
 /Ben