Emergency call at boot time functionality (was Re: Windows CE on freerunner)

robin paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 11:15:38 CEST 2008

Lothar Behrens wrote:
>> problem is, you're relying on people thinking clearly, being able to
>> make good logical decisions and correctly choosing the environment to
>> boot into on startup. unfortunately, this is the last thing most people
>> can do in the sort of high-stress situation which typically demands an
>> emergency call.
>>
>> if you study some mobiles, they are able to make emergency calls without
>> unlocking the screen, because manufacturers realise people can't even
>> manage that simple task when they panic, even something they may do 20
>> times a day
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop
>>

> I have talked about boot options. At this time there is no locking
> screen. Simply there should be a button to bypass the normal boot by
> pressing and go into an emergency mode.
>
> This way only 8 seconds may be remaining until a emergency call would be
> possible. Not 2 minutes.
>
> The unlock screen may have a top left area and a top right area. Right
> would be normal unlock and left maybe emergency call.
>
> You must have a lock, since otherwise you may accidantly issue an
> emergency call.

the point i was making is that when people are in stressful situations
they panic; even something as simple as selecting a different option at
boot-time becomes difficult.

the point about the screen lock was an example to illustrate my main
point. there are many more i could have chosen, but picked one related
to mobile phones