Emergency call at boot time functionality (was Re: Windows CE on freerunner)

Yogiz yogizz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 18:10:33 CEST 2008

> the point i was making is that when people are in stressful
> situations they panic; even something as simple as selecting a
> different option at boot-time becomes difficult.
>
> the point about the screen lock was an example to illustrate my main
> point. there are many more i could have chosen, but picked one
> related to mobile phones

No, You can't generalize like that. I'm a paramedic, I know when things
are bad enough I should make the call and I don't have second doubts
about it. When the situation arises and my Freerunner is for some
reason turned off, it's not the panic element that stands before me and
a connection to the EMT dispatcher but the time that I need to make my
phone usable for said call. The choice should be there for those that
have a use for those 20 extra seconds when it's needed. It could be an
add-on and not included in the main distros, I don't care. I'm just
saying that there are people who know, how to make best use out of this
kind of solution.

I see it as an installable ipk package containing a kernel image as well
as a (modified) gsm daemon + everything else essential to the call
that would probably go on a separate partition. There would be
instructions to make to the boot manager and we'd have exactly what we
need.

Yogiz