Backup rootfs and turn it into flasheable image

David Samblas dsamblasomcommunity at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:43:21 CEST 2008

Hi there I need some help hero because I have done some test but nothing
really works.

I want to be able to create a flaseable rootfs image from the actual
content of te neo, due dfu-util is no usable for this (see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Dfu-util#--upload) I can guess the way
would be an scp copy to pc, and create a jffs2 image from the result of
the scp copy.
but, two cuestion arise and I'm still not found a solution
how to avoid special dirs (dev, sys, proc...) or only  not to copy the
content of directories like media or mnt?
how to create a jffs2 image from the content of a directory?

I will be happy to put all this on a script a have a one-command backup
image, and due the size of the result (a max 256 Mb) will be a good
project to have repository of users image files to show what they have
done and some pimp configurations/applications.

I am working on a image like an idea I have read on some post here to
have an demo-image that in spite of will be in very alpha stage can show
in a demo a bit of the capabilities of the neo, (not debian allowed I'm
talking about only using the nand :), I'm waiting for my 2Gb Sandisk to
arrive and install Debian at fulltrottel :) ), now I'm using the
Raster-Zecke tandem and I have installed succesfully tangogps (gps works
maps not showed), numptyphisics,orrery,om-console and rotate(simplier
than gestures only rotates the screen) I will like to make pu ic the
result of the backup to save time to anyone that needs a quick demo to
show , any sugestion of other wow software will be really apreciaeted.

Regards and hugs
David