What's Enlightenment doing for so long?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 25 04:06:07 CEST 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:33:22 +0100 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>
babbled:

> After de "Booting" part with a progress report, we get the Boot's again.
>
> But I already can ssh into the Freerunner, and doing a top I see that
> it's enlightenment who's taking a bloody huge time loading up. Feels
> like about half of the booting time.
>
> I wonder what could be done to speed it up...

it's
2. connecting to x and querying stuff, settign up atoms and properties
4. scanning disk for .desktop files (as these are all the applications)
5. scanning fonts for use
6. setting up ipc
7. testing runtime breakages (eg you removed the png, jpeg or eet loaders from
evas as they are runtime replacable modules)
8. dbusinit and connect
9. query some hal info (removable devices etc.)

also note it only gets a fraction of the resources - qpe (and its tools like
mediaserver and quicklancher) all are fighting over cpu - the animated splash
uses a bit too, so as such it's left with about 15-20% of the cpu at least for
itself to do its init. the splash of course could be simpler and use less cpu.
no plash and u'd just have a blank screen for a while (its a config option of
course).