GPS logger / field data collection

Abdelrazak Younes younes at lyx.org
Mon Aug 25 10:23:26 CEST 2008

Brian Wilson wrote:
>> IMO, just use the raw Ublox binary format. It's rather simple to decode.
>> I have already implemented a binary decoder for the Ublox binary format
>> based on Ublox open documentation of the protocol. My plan is to release
>> this code under the GPL at some point.
>
> The only GPS receiver that I have that does u-blox binary format is
> the one in the Freerunner, and the others are Trimble and Garmin and
> SiRF and NMEA. So I'd be limited to using only one receiver out of my
> collection.

No, I also plan to support a number of other receivers. I defined a
simple virtual interface for that. My point is that there is no need to
create an intermediate format for storing. The original binary format is
just fine. I plan to support RINEX at some point too but just as another
format, not as the base format. My ublox decoder is just 500 loc and
half of it is the binary structure definitions. The framework python
decoder (ubx.py) is about the same size. Anyway, this is just vaporware
for now as I didn't release anything :-)

> Especially I'd love to be able to use the fancy Trimble
> ProXH via bluetooth and not be forced to use the Windows Mobile device
> they expect you to use. (Trimble Recon)

Is there some documentation of the format? If yes I guess the gpsd
project already supports it and it should be easy for me to support it too.

> So I was looking for a more
> general solution.

Well, I consider my solution as a general one.

> But it's a starting point anyway, and hey, I work on this about 10
> minutes a day so I'd say dive in!

That's what I said once before getting addicted to open source
development ;-)

Abdel.