What's Enlightenment doing for so long?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Aug 25 11:57:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:06:07PM +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:33:22 +0100 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>
> babbled:
>
> > After de "Booting" part with a progress report, we get the Boot's again.
> >
> > But I already can ssh into the Freerunner, and doing a top I see that
> > it's enlightenment who's taking a bloody huge time loading up. Feels
> > like about half of the booting time.
> >
> > I wonder what could be done to speed it up...
>
> it's
> 2. connecting to x and querying stuff, settign up atoms and properties
> 4. scanning disk for .desktop files (as these are all the applications)
> 5. scanning fonts for use
> 6. setting up ipc
> 7. testing runtime breakages (eg you removed the png, jpeg or eet loaders from
> evas as they are runtime replacable modules)
> 8. dbusinit and connect
> 9. query some hal info (removable devices etc.)
>
> also note it only gets a fraction of the resources - qpe (and its tools like
> mediaserver and quicklancher) all are fighting over cpu - the animated splash
> uses a bit too, so as such it's left with about 15-20% of the cpu at least for
> itself to do its init. the splash of course could be simpler and use less cpu.
> no plash and u'd just have a blank screen for a while (its a config option of
> course).

Thank you,

My point wasn't to criticize but to check out what could be done to speed up
this component in order to have a smaller boot time, and with a different screen.

Since the resources are quite low in comparison to a modern computer
maybe it needs some low-resource-computer specific optimizations.

I'm actually considering studying e's libraries in order to create some
replacements for the most common applications.

I think it's quite intolerable that in idle the main applications (at
least) aren't near instantaneous, and if e's the way to go, then e-like
apps should be written.

Rui

--
Or not.
Today is Boomtime, the 18th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?