Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Mon Aug 25 15:01:13 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 14:42 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
> I'm playing with debian for the last week and there are some new things
> i'm curious about.
>
> First thing is how i update the kernel and modules?
> I see that while installing debian it uses this kernel from openmoko:
> http://downloads.openmoko.org/framework/milestone2/uImage-2.6.24+gitr0+7a1370a816b9348dd8f36a667905dd3533cefc9b-r4-om-gta01.bin
>
> Now i see that the kernel and modules are updated quite often in the
> openmoko repo, but in the sources.list is no update source for a new
> kernel. The actual openmoko kernel seems to be
> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily-feed/om-gta02/kernel-2.6.24_2.6.24+git36+a1e97c611253511ffc2d8c45e3e6d6894fa03fa3-r2_om-gta02.ipk
>
> I know that this is the opkg version and not the dpkg for debian, but i
> think somewhere had to be the newest kernel version available for use in
> debian, or not?

ATM, there are no automatic kernel updates in Debian. Phil Kern has
tried to build a proper debian kernel package from the upstream sources,
but it takes a very long time in a qemu builder, so fixing all the
issues with the build was a PITA. So at the moment, you have to manually
download the image from http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/
and put it in /boot.

> And then i wanted to ask if there is a working way to rotate the xfce
> screen like with 2007.2?

Not until either
 * Someone figures out how to do xrandr with the fbdrv in Xorg
 * Someone creates a glamo driver module for Xorg
 * Someone creates a proper Debian package from the Xglamo source

You can rotate the screen in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but you have to restart
X then.

> And the last thing is where i can find the actual state of the
> suspend/resume problem concerning partition table corruption of the sd-card?
> I completely disabled standby because i don't want to have problems with
> my partition table on my sd-card. I found this ticket
> http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1802
> but don't know if this is the right place to look if it is fixed.
> Without suspend/resume the phone isn't useable at all as daily phone
> because i always have to shut down and restart the neo to spare the
> battery. :(

I haven’t had that problem yet, and I’m not sure what hardware and
kernel versions are responsible for that, so no idea.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner