Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Mon Aug 25 15:17:50 CEST 2008

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 14:42 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
>> I'm playing with debian for the last week and there are some new things
>> i'm curious about.
>>
>> First thing is how i update the kernel and modules?
>> I see that while installing debian it uses this kernel from openmoko:
>> http://downloads.openmoko.org/framework/milestone2/uImage-2.6.24+gitr0+7a1370a816b9348dd8f36a667905dd3533cefc9b-r4-om-gta01.bin
>>
>> Now i see that the kernel and modules are updated quite often in the
>> openmoko repo, but in the sources.list is no update source for a new
>> kernel. The actual openmoko kernel seems to be
>> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily-feed/om-gta02/kernel-2.6.24_2.6.24+git36+a1e97c611253511ffc2d8c45e3e6d6894fa03fa3-r2_om-gta02.ipk
>>
>> I know that this is the opkg version and not the dpkg for debian, but i
>> think somewhere had to be the newest kernel version available for use in
>> debian, or not?
>
> ATM, there are no automatic kernel updates in Debian. Phil Kern has
> tried to build a proper debian kernel package from the upstream sources,
> but it takes a very long time in a qemu builder, so fixing all the
> issues with the build was a PITA. So at the moment, you have to manually
> download the image from http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/
> and put it in /boot.

But when i get the newest kernel from there like

http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/uImage-om-gta02-latest.bin

isn't that not just only the kernel?
As far as i know i also have to update all the modules for this new
kernel within /lib/modules/2.6.24.
But i think these modules are only in the corresponding rootfs image

http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/openmoko-openmoko-devel-image-glibc-ipk--20080824-om-gta02.rootfs.tar.gz

So should i download this image and extract the modules and replace it
on my local rootfs?

I don't want to update my kernel if i'm not sure if this way is right. :)

Ciao,
     Rainer