Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Mon Aug 25 15:28:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 15:17 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
> > ATM, there are no automatic kernel updates in Debian. Phil Kern has
> > tried to build a proper debian kernel package from the upstream sources,
> > but it takes a very long time in a qemu builder, so fixing all the
> > issues with the build was a PITA. So at the moment, you have to manually
> > download the image from http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/
> > and put it in /boot.
>
> But when i get the newest kernel from there like
>
> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/uImage-om-gta02-latest.bin
>
> isn't that not just only the kernel?
> As far as i know i also have to update all the modules for this new
> kernel within /lib/modules/2.6.24.
> But i think these modules are only in the corresponding rootfs image
>
> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/openmoko-openmoko-devel-image-glibc-ipk--20080824-om-gta02.rootfs.tar.gz
>
> So should i download this image and extract the modules and replace it
> on my local rootfs?
>
> I don't want to update my kernel if i'm not sure if this way is right. :)

Have a look what
http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/freerunner/install.sh
does in the "kernel" stage. You download the modules from
http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/modules-2.6.24+git36+a1e97c611253511ffc2d8c45e3e6d6894fa03fa3-r2-om-gta02.tgz
along and just untar them in /.

I guess this should go into the wiki.

Greetings,