Debian on the FreeRunner -- a few questions/solutions

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Mon Aug 25 16:27:32 CEST 2008

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 15:17 +0200 schrieb Fox Mulder:
>>> ATM, there are no automatic kernel updates in Debian. Phil Kern has
>>> tried to build a proper debian kernel package from the upstream sources,
>>> but it takes a very long time in a qemu builder, so fixing all the
>>> issues with the build was a PITA. So at the moment, you have to manually
>>> download the image from http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/
>>> and put it in /boot.
>> But when i get the newest kernel from there like
>>
>> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/uImage-om-gta02-latest.bin
>>
>> isn't that not just only the kernel?
>> As far as i know i also have to update all the modules for this new
>> kernel within /lib/modules/2.6.24.
>> But i think these modules are only in the corresponding rootfs image
>>
>> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/openmoko-openmoko-devel-image-glibc-ipk--20080824-om-gta02.rootfs.tar.gz
>>
>> So should i download this image and extract the modules and replace it
>> on my local rootfs?
>>
>> I don't want to update my kernel if i'm not sure if this way is right. :)
>
> Have a look what
> http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/freerunner/install.sh
> does in the "kernel" stage. You download the modules from
> http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily/freerunner/200808/20080824/modules-2.6.24+git36+a1e97c611253511ffc2d8c45e3e6d6894fa03fa3-r2-om-gta02.tgz
> along and just untar them in /.
>
> I guess this should go into the wiki.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

Oh thanks, i just overlooked the modules file in the directory. :)

After installing these modules package and comparing with the original
/lib/modules/2.4.24 directory i see that in the root all the modules.*
files are missing.

I don't know if these files are needed or not so i looked in the
openmoko-qtopia-x11-image-om-gta02.tar.gz file and copied these files
from there to my new 2.4.24 directory.

Before booting i got
Linux IjonTichy 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 29 01:19:38 UTC 2008 armv4tl
GNU/Linux

and now after booting i got
Linux IjonTichy 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Mon Aug 25 01:23:27 CEST 2008 armv4tl
GNU/Linux

But it seems that the kernel changes some things because while booting i
got an error that the usb device couldn't be set up.

Also the touchscreen seems to be a bit different. When i touch a point
the cursor jumps a small bit below this point and than goes to exactly
this point. But the click is recognized at the point below. So sometimes
i missed the keys on the matchbox keyboard.

Wlan and gps works like before without problems.

Someone know how to fix the usb and touchscreen problem?

Does a touchscreen recalibration has any effect for this kind of problem?

The boot log messages show that the usb core is loaded:

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb

But when setting usb0 up for networking it says no such device for usb0.

Ciao,
     Rainer