2008.8 update

Yorick Moko yorickmoko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:07:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Marek Lindner <marek at openmoko.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26. August 2008 17:34:40 Yorick Moko wrote:
>> Seriously, I appreciate all your efforts, but some things I just can't
>> grasp: Why would any sane man remove items that provide useful
>> functionality (the wrench, full qwerty) without providing an alternative??
>> You guys know a lot of us want the full qwerty, and there are already
>> very nice implementations (look at the raster-image) and you guys know
>> that we will try to get it back; why not give us the choice?? The
>> button to toggle from the original keyboard to the full qwerty one was
>> perfect. Or just add an way to install it through the installer. Just
>> like you know we want a terminal, and have added that to the
>> installer.
>
> Seriously, we can't you make your homework and find out yourself that there
> _is_ a package to give you that button. Its called illume-config (not to hard
> to guess) and installable via the installer. Why not simply using that choice
> before ranting like mad ?
> Next time, you also can do a package yourself - we happily include it.
>

> Marek

Marek, installing that illume-config package was the first thing I did
yesterday. It only gives the "qwerty" button in the upper left corner.
I have not found a way to enable the spanner.

My apologies if I have offended you. I just want to understand why
some good things were being left out at this stage. If you would give
the reason to not use the keyboard like in the raster-image (or
excluding  the full-qwerty.kbd) at this point it would help me very
much in understanding it.