2008.8 update

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:41:40 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Marek Lindner <marek at openmoko.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 26. August 2008 18:07:25 Yorick Moko wrote:
> > Marek, installing that illume-config package was the first thing I did
> > yesterday. It only gives the "qwerty" button in the upper left corner.
> > I have not found a way to enable the spanner.
>
> It should do both (as the description indicates). Please open a bug in our
> trac if it does not work as expected.
>

> > My apologies if I have offended you. I just want to understand why
> > some good things were being left out at this stage. If you would give
> > the reason to not use the keyboard like in the raster-image (or
> > excluding  the full-qwerty.kbd) at this point it would help me very
> > much in understanding it.
>
> No offense taken. I simply would prefer a more reasonable feedback that we
> can
> process.
> General speaking, we don't want to exclude anything. To provide maximum
> flexibility and freedom we want to move everything to packages. The raster
> keyboard, the button, $whatever can be put into a package and shared with
> the
> world. There is no need to wait for anyone (including Openmoko) to do that
> for you. Just get your hands dirty and help increasing the choice.
>

> Marek,

Yorick is right, and is speaking for a lot of us.  Please appreciate that
many of us have to do a lot of work to get the (cough)damned(cough) FR to
connect to the internet to install packages in the first place.  Actually,
there is a very big design issue here, because most of the tasks are
accomplished only through USB networking, and for the unfortunate ones
amongst us who want to use it as a daily phone, it is not always possible to
have a laptop and cable handy (e.g. while driving about).

What we (as users) would really appreciate, say like icing on cake, would be
to see real-world-usability be given a spin by the developers before a
stable release.  That would avoid a lot of pain, and repeated questions on
the lists.  We would be more than willing to submit all the bug reports you
ever wanted after that.  And packages, from those that don't lack thumbs in
programming.  You guys are doing a fantastic job, and by all means, keep it
up.  But also spare a thought about the clueless ones like us.