Openmoko L10N effort.

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 17:33:02 CEST 2008

Btw, starting to use translated software under 2007.2 (and probaly
others, too) I did the following:

1. Installed all the already-available packages related to my locale I
could find:
locale-base-fi-fi libglib-2.0-locale-fi gtk+-locale-fi
binutils-locale-fi eds-dbus-locale-fi gconf-dbus-locale-fi
gettext-locale-fi glibc-binary-localedata-fi-fi glibc-locale-fi
glibc-localedata-fi-fi gnome-mime-data-locale-fi gnome-vfs-locale-fi
gnupg-locale-fi gst-plugins-base-locale-fi gst-plugins-good-locale-fi
gst-plugins-ugly-locale-fi gstreamer-locale-fi hal-locale-fi
libatk-1.0-locale-fi libgstapp-0.10-locale-fi libpopt-locale-fi
libwnck-1-locale-fi

2. Added the following to /etc/profile:
LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_ALL=fi_FI.UTF-8
export LANG LC_ALL

After a reboot, I now had some basic things like dates and some of the
system messages in Finnish. Now if only we could get more of the
actual applications localized...

-Timo