Debian -- better screen locking

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Tue Aug 26 17:43:26 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 17:20 +0200, Marcel wrote:
> Am Dienstag 26 August 2008 12:11:33 schrieb arne anka:
> > > I'm also on Debian. Isn't it best we use a normal screen save and lock
> > > solution?. Something like xscreensaver, but I'm still not sure it can
> > > be used without a keyboard.
> >
> > as long as aux reliably produces a keyboard, that's no hindrance, isn't it?
>
> What about having the power button not directly make the phone go to suspend
> (if it even does) but popping up a menu ("lock", "suspend", "shutdown")
> instead, independent of the used stack/debian desktop?

The best way is to do it like Nokia:
- one short press on power to popup the menu, some other short presses
to navigate the menu items, one long press to select.
- or one long press to directly suspend/shutdown (in fact, that selects
the first menu item)

That's really really handy. The Nokia menu can shutdown, lock or change
profile.

	Xav