keyboard (was Re: 2008.8 raster + zecke, great useability, and remaining flaws)

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 26 19:38:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 06:21:19PM +0200, Daniel Selinger wrote:

> 3. 2008.8 keyboard
> This is no issue which hits me because i use rasters image. But i, and
> i think a lot of other people would love to see the keyboard of rasters
> image on 2008.8. Either as default or changeable via illume-config. I
> also would love to have the qerty button visible by default.

I hope not being recognized as a troll now (my history with the project helps).
I believe it is almost foolish not to have that keyboard button by default.
This phone is still something primarily to be used by hardcore geeks, and
please show me the linux geek who doesn't use the keyboard here or there with
some application that doesn't hook into the automatically-show-keyboard magic?

I wish for this kind of question there would be an easy-to-be-configured
polling mechanism that could be put up at some openmoko.org website.  I think
there are many of those issues where all kinds of people inside openmoko inc.
could benefit from a very quick-to-read opinion of their user base without
reading through tons of threads of discussions that get time-consuming and
boring over time.

Just my 2 cents,