keyboard (was Re: 2008.8 raster + zecke, great useability, and remaining flaws)

Chaosspawn23 Chaosspawn23 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 26 20:41:48 CEST 2008

Harald Welte wrote:
> I hope not being recognized as a troll now (my history with the project helps).
> I believe it is almost foolish not to have that keyboard button by default.
> This phone is still something primarily to be used by hardcore geeks, and
> please show me the linux geek who doesn't use the keyboard here or there with
> some application that doesn't hook into the automatically-show-keyboard magic?
>
> I wish for this kind of question there would be an easy-to-be-configured
> polling mechanism that could be put up at some openmoko.org website.  I think
> there are many of those issues where all kinds of people inside openmoko inc.
> could benefit from a very quick-to-read opinion of their user base without
> reading through tons of threads of discussions that get time-consuming and
> boring over time.
>
> Just my 2 cents,

+1

Even if the core applications can (and should!) implement the
show-me-the-keyboard mechanism, I don't think it would be trivial
to implement it for other (ported) apps like, say, Battle for Wesnoth
or Numpty Physics (yes, I do realize those are all games ;) ).
Just my two cents, too :)

Regards,
Konstantin