Video-out support

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 23:21:33 CEST 2008

2008/8/27 Harald Welte <laforge at openmoko.org>:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 02:46:23PM +0200, Francesco Cat wrote:
>> Isn't USB 2.0 required for USB-to-VGA adapters?
>
> yes, USB2 is required for all USB-to-VGA adapters that I have ever seen as a
> mass product.  The reason is very simple: A full-screen uncompressed video has
> much more bandwidth than USB1 can sustain.
>
> I've only ever once seen a pre-mass-production prototype of a USB1-to-VGA
> adaptor. And that was in fact an entire PXA27x based linux system with
> something like VNC.  Just no configuration or user i/o of any sorts.  But even
> that never made it mass-market.

have you thought about going through the wireless interface? that's
got way higher bandwidth than the usb port

i found these on google; they're a bit big and not cheap, but maybe...

http://www.amazon.com/External-Wireless-Projector-Adapter-wi-fi-Ethernet/dp/B000FEHB5I

http://www.amazon.com/Addlogix-MA-WL-DVGA-Wireless-Projector-Adapter/dp/B000ENSTE2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/11/AR2008061100099.html