Fennec on Openmoko

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Wed Aug 27 02:11:10 CEST 2008

Aapo Rantalainen wrote:
> Is it possible to test Fennec yet?
>
> Is this starting place?
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Build/Fennec

Well, it runs [1]. Slooooowly [2] but it runs! :P

I found the quoted page yesterday and I started compiling it with this
.mozconfig [3] (and with a fixed Openmoko Toolchain). Building working
binaries isn't so easy due to some compilation errors that I was able to
fix only workarounding them (I had no time to fix the compilation scripts).

However you can find my binaries here [4], they need some external
packages like libidl-2-0 that you can grab from the angstrom repo.
Then, simply put the fennec dir in your freerunner and run ./fennec (use
DISPLAY=:0 dbus-launch if you start it from ssh).

[1] http://www.3v1n0.net/openmoko/ - also on scap.linuxtogo.org
[2] http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/openmoko/fennec-openmoko-mozconfig
[3] I had to use Xfbdev in my phone [4], maybe Xglamo works a little
     better, however the main problem is the CPU/RAM usage (of X too).
     I've to check if there are some better compilation flags!
     BTW it runs quite well in  maemo, so I hope it will also in Om.
[4] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/support/2008-July/000660.html
[5] http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/openmoko/

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux