ASU keyboards, again

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 27 02:02:03 CEST 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:49:35 +0200 Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com>
babbled:

> Jus tot egt things straight: how many keyboards are there?
>
> We have the qpe one, we have this terminal one (with the bevels and
> such) but wasn't there another one, a full keyboard with no fancy graphics?

ok - the qpe one is the one that doesn't have any icons on the top left/right to
select dictionary or layout. illume's keyboard is the one that does - there is
a "Tango" theme that gives the keys little key-like bevels etc. this just
changes the look. you can also use "external" keyboards like matchbox and
multitap etc. too - so far qpe is playing the odd one out as there is no way to
turn it off or optionally "run it" just when desired (it's part of the qpe
process).

the illume keyboard is the one with "full qwerty" and no fancy graphics.. also
able to have fancy graphics just by a theme changes and can also do prediction
(correction) or no correction as desired (the terminal keyboard layout
basically disabled any dictionary lookup/correction as it sends keys directly as
pressed and doesn't compose in the buffer, but the default layout does compose
words and thus use whatever dictionary you have selected). it supports multiple
dictionaries at the same time (just select the system one) a personal
dictionary (where anything you type gets added in and thus the keyboard learns
your typing habits), and also supports multiple keyboard layouts (where you
just can edit a .kbd data file to define a new keyboard layout and add extra
keys or remove them, shuffle them around etc.)