Repository and Images

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 11:08:34 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Marek Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this merits some more details:
> >    *) Base Images and repository
> >       We have a base image. It is minimal image plus Window
> >       Manager(e-wm), Om-settings and Om-installer.
>
> We will shift away from preinstalled phone stack images. Instead, we
> provide a "base image" which allows you to install your preferred
> applications (GTK/Qtopia/SHR/FSO/etc) and really own your phone.
> Currently, we are in the process of getting this system running smoothly.
> Early adopters / testers / developers are invited to test it.

Sounds good so long as the packaging stops people accidentally breaking things
just by installing a package. The problem installing 2 diallers is a recent
example where it didn't work. Also how will it handle the situation where
different frameworks use differently patched versions of the same app?
Tangogps springs to mind as an example that seems to be slightly different on
GTK, FSO and ASU.

> We also
> encourage $your_project to be built by our auto builder and become
> installable on the base image. This should give you the time to focus on
> improving your project instead of building and distributing it.
> The "unstable" package feed will always contain your latest code, "testing"
> the version you think is ready for use.

Is the mechanism for this in place, or still a work in progress? Are there any
details available on how to use it?