ASU keyboards, again

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:20:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
<raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:35:53 +0200 julien cubizolles <j.cubizolles at free.fr>
> babbled:
>
>> 2 : I don't understand how "predicive" those two keyboards are. For me
>> predictive would mean suggesting the n+1 (or n+p) character when I have
>> pressed n keys. At the moment the only thing it does is suggesting
>> several combination of n keys, to correct some typos I would have made.
>> It's very annoying since the word I correctly typed isn't necessarily
>> displayed among those suggestions. Is that how a "predictive" is
>> supposed to work or am I missing something here ?
>
> with illume's keyboard (my one) in the latest illume's you get a dictionary. it
> should be possible to create a french dictionary - take /usr/share/dict/words
> from your desktop (i assume you have a french one) and:

How different is your keyboard from the Qtopia 'predictive keyboard' -
I don't have a FR yet - so I can't try them out. It sounds, from the
gestures that people describe and the images I've seen that they are
remarkably similar. The Qtopia one is the best touchscreen keyboard
I've ever used
(tried it on an A780 w. OpenEZX...) so I'm curious :)

Do you work out probabilities in a similar way to them? Can you switch
off the predictive and use 'normal' mode?

If it is not vastly different, I'm interested to know the reasons you
chose to make a separate one (not in an accusing aggressive way! Just
out of curiousity - I assume there's a good reason :)

Who