Repository and Images

Geoff Ruscoe gcruscoe at sigmavisions.com
Wed Aug 27 13:13:58 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Julian Chu <julian_chu at openmoko.com> wrote:

> Hi Community,
>

>   *) A new 2008.8 stable image
>
>      [2]http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.8-update/
>
>      Oh, it's daily build.
>
>   *) The repository of 2008.8
>      After the building process complete, we also sync the repository[3]
>      People can upgrade from there.
>
>      [3] http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/
>
>   *) Base Images and repository
>      [5] http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/

Okay I think these details above sound great, but when I tried them out they
did not go as expected.  Maybe we can get some clarification on the correct
path for a user (like me :-)).

Anyway,
Starting point 2008.08 w/ Zeche's testing repos -- everything up to date.
Get this mail installed the testing image
    created:
        testing-all-feed.conf
        testing-armv4t-feed.conf
        testing-om-gta02-feed.conf
    all pointing to the testing repository listed above (5)

did the opkg update opkg upgrade
This did lots of stuff ... I was getting excited about the new code

had dropbear and libncurses issues which I have seen before and solved

did an opkg update and opkg upgrade again to make sure nothing was missed.

And this is where the trouble started I believe... somehow this had added
buildhost repositories to my opkg setup.  It installed a ton of stuff before
I even realized what it was doing so figured I better let it finish and hope
that _somehow_ all the information I knew to be true about buildhost wasn't
true anymore...

Well as you can guess, my device is going to need to be reflashed.

So in summary

>From the information above, I thought link 5 above was the proper repository
for 2008.08?  Is this correct?

If so, how did the buildhost opkg repository files get to my system.  I
would suggest this be fixed pretty quickly.

If I am used to 2008.08 and tangogps, etc.  Should I install the new 2008.08
image (link #2 above)?

I thought this was intended as the upgrade path for 2008.08 for a more
stable (better / more updated packages).  Is this not its intention?

All information regarding this will probably help many other users.  And I
suggest that nobody follow the upgrade path that I did, until these things
are answered, cleared up.

Thanks so much for your efforts.  Really looking forward to getting the next
build!  Since I've bricked my os at the moment I'm going to try to back some
stuff up and flash the 2008.08-update just in case its better :-).  btw,
love the 2008.08 after modding the keyboard and adding the gprs mux stuff.
Super great with exception of super slow after startup and some stability
issues (turning off instead of suspend, etc.).

Thanks again.