USB cable hacking

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 16:58:10 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> Problem is, the ID pin apparently exists only on the Mini-B connector,
> and doesn't have a corresponding wire inside the USB cable. Has
> anybody on the list done USB connector hacking, and have any tips on
> how to get a resistor in there without interfering with plug in
> operation?

It's worse than that - the only UK source of mini-B plugs I've found is
Maplin, and the connector only has 4 solder pads :-( They don't bother
exposing the ID pin as it's so rarely used. So far as I can tell RS, Farnell,
Rapid Electronics, CPC don't stock the plugs at all. Has anyone found a
supplier? It's looking like I'll have to fall back on maplin plus surgery and
delicate soldering...

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode