USB cable hacking

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Aug 27 17:45:36 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, Daniel Dadap wrote:

> Hello Community,
>
> I just bought a portable USB battery pack ( one of these:
> http://apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=314 ) to use with my
> FreeRunner so that I could keep tangogps running to log a track for me
> during a bike ride. It worked quite well: I was able to keep the unit
> powered on for over 12 hours and still had some juice left over to
> make some phone calls at the end of the day. However, I noticed that
> the FR was only drawing 100mA. I was sort of hoping that the battery
> pack would emulate a USB host and negotiate current, but it looks like
> it just has available power.

have a look at

     http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode

for
     http://hdr.meetr.de/neo/openmoko/battery/battery_0.20080721_armv4t.ipk

which works nice for me (you can force charge mode to 500/1000 mA),
after patching pygtk:

     https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1718

and if the icon doesn't show up:

     http://n2.nabble.com/Battery-Charge-Solution(Not)-td684534.html

I've modified battery.py a bit to display the (de)charging current too,
my script version attached...

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\