ASU keyboards, again

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Thu Aug 28 04:37:23 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:12:59 +0200 "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" <mail at 3v1n0.net>
> babbled:
>> Imho, a way to reduce the size would be allowing a rule to set suffix
>> and prefix (for composed words) that would reduce the dictionary size.
>> So, for example, in my dictionary instead of using 50 lines for each
>> verb I would use only one per one; i.e.:
>>
>> Italian verb "parlare" (to talk) would be (not complete)
>>   parl{o,i,a,iamo,ate,ano,avo,avi,ava,avamo,avate,avano,ai,asti,ò,ammo, \
>>        aste,arono,erò,erai,erà,eremo,erete,eranno,erei,eresti,erebbe, \
>>        eremmo,ereste,erebbero,ii,iamo,iate,ino,assi,asse,assimo, \
>>        assero,ino,ando,ante,ato,ata,ati}
>>
>> Italian noun "casa" (house) would be
>>   cas{a,e}
>>
>> Italian adjective "libero" (free [as freedom]) would be
>>   liber{a,i,o}
>
> yup yup. don't worry - i understand why :) i speak several langauges myself
> (not italian - but i did study latin, and speak french, german, english,
> japanese, some usable level of portuguese). i definitely get the language
> issues - for both european and asian languages :) yes. the above would reduce
> dictionary size. it would make parsing it much harder.

I suspected this :/. I did hoped to be wrong...

>> Anyway, let me know I should send you the dict I've.
>
> it's italian - right?

Yes, it's an Italian dict.

>> Italian standard linux dictionary (/usr/share/dict/italian) "weights"
>> 1,2mb but it's mostly incomplete.
>
> aaah. ok. i guess that's not great quality then :)

No at all...
>> And this is a great thing. Since this phone without a great virtual
>> keyboard (like the one you're doing) won't be usable/cool as it should
>> be. Imho this is the killer tool of illume.
>
> thanks :) though really.. there is much more to illume :)

Yes, the keyboard is not illume (that is a cool wm for mobiles however)
but its keyboard makes it unique!

> hehehe - i just haven't done it. that's all. accent char normalising is easy:
>
> ñ -> n
> é -> e
> ö -> o
>
> etc. - just strip any accent (and convert to lower case). what i was wondering
> was:
>
> æ -> ?
> ß -> ? (maybe s?)

Yeah... They should be transformed in two chars, in fact ("ae" and
"ss"). Can't this been supported? Considering them as two inputs!

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/