Partitioning 4GB with the Debian Installer

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 28 12:06:36 CEST 2008

arne anka wrote:
>> But why is ext3 not recommended for sd-card when compared to ext2?
>
> i understood ist because of the additional wear caused by journalling.
>
>> I played with debian on my sd card for over a week without any problems
>> so far concerning the sd-card. I hope i must not backup my rootfs and
>> reformat it to ext2. :)
>
> well, ext3 is ext2+journal. should be sufficient to mount as ext2, i think.
> not sure about u-boot, though.

I know that ext2 issufficient but ext3 is the successor, so why stick
with the older ext2?
When ext3 makes much more accesses to the filesystem than ext2 you are
right that it is not the best choice for the limited lifecycle that a
flash medium has.
Maybe i should google a bit about this to find a comparision table for
ext2 against ext3 to make a better decision. :)

Ciao,
     Rainer