Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Thu Aug 28 18:03:01 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 04:20:38PM -0700, Michael Shiloh wrote:

> Ole Kliemann wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I'd like to have a file where I put in
> >
> > 	phonenumber	/path/to/shellscript
> >
> > Everytime an incoming call matches one of the numbers in this file,
> > the device just hangs up and executes the corresponding script.
> >

> Cool application. This plus Arduino could be the bases of some nice
> remote control.

What I was planning to do:

I have VoIP for telephony at home and asterisk running on my server. A
script on the server checks my email. If it finds new mail it calls the
FR. The FR does not accept the connection, instead it connects to the
internet and gets the email. It does not cost anything as no phone
connection is established. And I have immediate notification on new
mail.