/etc/opkg

John Whitmore captain.deadly at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:11:27 CEST 2008

roguemoko at roguewrt.org wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Whitmore wrote:
>
>> Anyhow my problem is that I really want to understand this directory's
>> contents as with so many distributions available and so many different
>> repositories It would seem all too easy to mess up my current happy
>> position with the default Raster build. I'm not sure about doing a opkg
>> update, or upgrade or anything as yet.
>>
>> If anybody can point me to some useful information that would be great.
>> I tried the wiki and man opkg on the FR but that was being optimistic;-)
>>

> I installed the raster build this morning which included all the
> relevant feeds for au stable. I've opkg updated and upraded with no
> issues, well, outside the usual glitches you find in om2008.
>
> All the repos provided in the image I obtained were for
> downloads.openmoko.org which is the currently active branch. It appears
> the image is only modified in so far as the scripts and configuration so
> as long a you don't overwrite configs, everything stays the same. That
> may not be true in the future but it seems to be fine now.
>
> Just make sure your feeds are for downloads.openmoko.org and aren't
> pointing to testing and you should be right.
>
> In the end, this is an educated guess so YMMV. No one has actually
> confirmed any of this since I've been listening in.
>
> Sarton

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'll maybe try what you suggest
but I'd like to understand that directory and it's contents. At present
when I did the install I'd about five files in there and apart from the
arch I don't know what any are supposed to do. I read a previous email
here on Raster's build which said:

 >2. Add zecke's testing repository : create a /etc/opkg/updates.conf
 >containing
 >
 >src/gz daily-all-updates
 >http://people.openmoko.org/~zecke/om2008.8-testing/all
 >src/gz daily-armv4t-updates
 >http://people.openmoko.org/~zecke/om2008.8-testing/armv4t
 >src/gz daily-neo1973-updates
 >http://people.openmoko.org/~zecke/om2008.8-testing/neo1973
 >src/gz daily-om-gta02-updates
 >http://people.openmoko.org/~zecke/om2008.8-testing/om-gta02

I moved all the other files in /etc/opkg to a backup directory and just
used the ones mentioned above. Unfortunately none seemed to pull in
anything but I'll have to check this again later as my internet
connection might have been off. I'll include the au stable and see what
that gives me.

I'll try edit the wiki page with the only information I know which is
that the arch file should not be moved ;-)

John