contacts: lookup on incoming call

malte malte at loopback.org
Fri Aug 29 16:56:04 CEST 2008

Hi

I know this problem from the cryptosms.org project.

basically the telco is providing/sending the incoming number (not the
phone). the format of this number seems to vary even with the same
telco. I've seen these

+49 179...
0049 179...
49 179...
0179...

I'm not sure if this list shows all possible 'encodings'.

Does anyone know if there is a standard on how to translate these
numbers into each other, which are valid and which not?

greetings
malte