Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 04:57:43 CEST 2008

On 28 Aug 2008, at 18:03, Ole Kliemann wrote:
> If you have some friends who are willing to use a system like that,
> then
> message can be passed with notification within this group for a
> very low
> price. I pay 24euro-ct/MB and only for every started 10kb. On the
> other
> hand the amount of messages passing through this system will be low.
>
> AFAIK to have immediate notification with IMAP you have to either
> keep a
> connection open or check for new mails in intervals. Both will cause
> costs.

I thought the "standard" now was unlimited data plans. My last
contract (which included a Sony-E smartphone) just expired this week
and I am now on a much cheaper tariff which gives me more minutes &
which includes unlimited data.

UK users: O2 were discounting the price of their 600 minute
simplicity plan for the duration of August, but have now extended
this deal through September so you have more time left in which to
get on it. For £20 this includes "unlimited" texts and one of the
following free "bolt-ons": unlimited texts (WTF?), unlimited O2 to O2
Calls, unlimited Web Bolt On, unlimited weekend calls, unlimited
landline calls, unlimited Wi-Fi, 200 extra anytime minutes. https://
shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly

You have my sympathies if you're not on an unlimited data plan, Ole,
but I would see unlimited data use as the long-term expectation of
OpenMoko projects. I think for most people the ideal is to have their
IMAP client open an internet connection (via wifi / GPRS) every few
minutes & check for new mails. I've mentioned a couple of times on
this list how well this is handled by the Nokia N95, which has the
option (for instance) not to use GPRS when you're on holiday,
avoiding roaming charges.

Stroller.